Namaste

Namaste and a warm welcome to all.

As you can see my blog is about food and recipes. I love eating and trying out new recipes all the time.

Very often we mum's think of healthy and interesting food options that we can make for our kids especially when they are back from school knowing that their lunch boxes never come back home empty. Hence I always feel its important to give them a healthy and wholesome snack once they are home. When my kid comes home from school I always try and give him some source of carbohydrate combined with proteins along with this, a fruit and milk, or puddings made from milk. Kids normally can't eat too much at one time, so the portions can be small but giving them a little from each of these food group ensures a balanced meal.

I have some interesting ideas that I'd like to share with you all. You might find some of my recipes very basic but I am hoping that my blog is helpful not only for Indians but for people all around the world! Indian food is quite popular and enjoyed by most, so hopefully you can attempt recipes from here and make it yourself now, in your kitchen. Please do go through my recipes and give it a shot at trying them. Let me know how things turned out and if you enjoyed your experience of cooking.... Feel free to get in touch, share your experience, leave a comment or ask any questions you may have. Thank you for stopping by and taking a look! I do hope its helpful.

Happy cooking!

Friday 25 November 2011

Masala Bhindi

INGREDIENTS:
1-2 tbspn oil
Bhindi (okra)

SPICES:
1 tbspn coriander powder
1/2 tbspn dry mango powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn red chilly powder
1/4 tspn aesfotida (Hing)
Salt (as per taste)


METHOD:
Wash the Bhindi very well and wipe with a dry clean cloth so they are dry. Cut the top and the bottom portion and make slits (lengthwise in the center) of the Bhindi as shown below.


Mix all the dry spices together making sure you have taken the right amount of salt that should go into all the Bhindi you are going to cook.


Fill the spice powder (in small amounts) into the slit as shown below:


Heat oil on a medium flame.


Once the oil is hot add the Bhindi.


Stir well.


Cover and cook on a low flame.


Check after about 4-5 minutes to make sure its not getting burnt. Cover and let it cook on a low flame till the Bhindi is cooked well (checking in between after every 2-3 minutes). Only if it gets too dry or getting burnt then add a little oil from the sides in circular motion around the Bhindi and cover again and let it cook.


Serve hot with Roti/Paratha. If you feel you have added less of any spice or salt then you can add them in the end after you have tasted the cooked Bhindi and adjust the quantity of spices used accordingly. Mix well before you serve so the spices blend well with all the Bhindi.



“Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.” ~B.K.S. Iyengar




2 comments:

  1. I made Lady's fingers with same recipy it came out very nice.My entire family enjoyed.Thank's for nice recipy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you Rupali for always sharing your recipes with me as well...I truly enjoy the Marathi style food.

    ReplyDelete